I’ve been thinking about this the last couple days. There’s plenty of us out there that don’t have military convoy ops training much less the protective detail training that security contractors get. There’s a lot of us out there may be thinking about getting out of town before a natural disaster or just bugging out with family friends in some other SHTF scenario.
Well, without going to an expensive school what do we do?The most important thing is to have a plan. We always talk about how we’re going to meet up with close, trusted friends and family but rarely take it any further.There’s a lot of things to take into account.
1. Will we have to pick a rally point within city limits?
2. How many vehicles will be involved?
3. If still in the city, how far till you hit open roads?
4. Are there ways to stay off freeways that could already be jammed?
5. Will you run into roadblocks?
I believe the best way to look at it is to set a rally point that’s as close to everyone as possible. If possible make it the home of one of the group. Once everyone is there the biggest part of your plan is ready to take off.Only you know your situation so I won’t tell you how to make your plan. That being said I do have some suggestions about what to keep in mind.
1. Plan to stick together. If other cars are able to cut in between your group then group members are goingPlan for trafficto get lost in the shuffle. Don’t let that happen.
2. Where possible adhere to traffic traffic laws. Drawing unwanted attention from law enforcement will only slow you down. Don’t worry, though, there will be plenty of time to put the peddle to the metal.
3. There may come a time when it’s time to fly. You will need to be able to make your way through traffic without causing crashes. Plan to have vehicles slow down enough to block traffic so family vehicles can get through. Protective vehicles can leapfrog back to original positions afterwards.
4. Plan for a means of communication. Group call on your smart phone (don’t rely on this alone because the cell towers could be out in a natural disaster) or walkie talkies.
The bug out convoy method isn’t as important as having it be a part of the plan as well as a backup plan.Use this as a starting point and you’ll be on your way to being better prepared.